July 23, 2010

The Brooklyn I Never Knew

I fell in love with the architecture of brownstones as an undergraduate; as an Art History minor, I took a class that dealt with the art that transpired from the Industrial Revolution...and one of the books I read (one out of 7 that had to be read within 3 months, not including the other books for my other classes that quarter), was The Brown Decades ...it was this book that introduced me to the beauty and ingenuity of the brownstone. I was hooked. And even though I've yet to experience New York, I have great respect for the creativity the brownstone exudes and the obvious contrast from the opulence in the Greek/ Victorian/ Gothic architecture that seemed to dominate before. Well, the brownstone is celebrated today ....again...in Traditional Home Magazine. I got my September issue today, and it has a FANTASTIC spread on Brooklyn's brownstones, townhouses, and everything there is to admire about Brooklyn. One home that is being featured belongs to Katie Brown. Her home is a four story townhouse that she and her husband renovated after living in Manhattan for several years. Make sure to pick up the magazine to read the entire spread, but for the meantime, here are some pics of her Brooklyn home.


1 comment:

Leah said...

OH that living room is heaven! Just amazing!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails